Professional Skills Development
On this course you will learn a comprehensive method of effectively managing people, time and resources. You will be able to assess how much support and direction team members really need for any task they perform. This allows you to get time back in your day by developing independence, confidence and capability in those you manage. As a result, motivation and productivity naturally increase.
Duration and Training Method
A two-day classroom based course. The course uses a combination of presentations, videos, group work, exercises, questionnaires, case studies and role plays to ensure that participants have the knowledge and confidence to use the various principles and techniques described.
Participants will learn to:
- Assess the commitment and competency levels of their employees against the work to be done and choose the appropriate leadership style.
- Increase the frequency and quality of conversations with employees which focus on performance and development.
- Use a communication model for all levels of the organisation to support cultural change and increase performance.
- Practice flexible leadership skills including coaching, performance evaluation, active listening, giving feedback and proactive problem solving.
- Become more effective in using leadership styles that are less "natural" for them as identified by the leader behaviour questionnaire.
- Improve individual and organisational accountability and success by using action plans linked to personal and team objectives and goals.
- Objectives, purpose and payoff
Setting the Scene
- Purpose of Situational Leadership II
- An introduction to the Three Skills, Six Conversations and Partnering
- The attributes of your best and worst manager
- The SLX Story Part 1
- Rules of Engagement: UNPLUG- ENAGAGE- REFLECT
Goal Setting: The First Skill of the Situational Leader
- Goals vs. Tasks
- The criteria for setting SMART Goals. SMART Goal Coaching
- Alignment Conversations – goals, development levels and leadership style
- The SLX Story Part 2
Diagnosing: The Second Skill of the Situational Leader
- Competence vs. Commitment
- Development levels D1, D2, D3 and D4 (for further details on development levels see Additional Information Section)
- Situational Variables that influence Leadership Styles
- Development Level Capabilities, Descriptions and Needs
- The SLX Story PART 3
- SLII Diagnostic Tools
- Resolving Development Level Disagreements: Goals, Evidence, Benchmarking
- The SLII App – Diagnosis on the go!
- SLII Fitness Test – Goal setting, Diagnosis and Development
Matching: The Third Skill of a Situational Leader
- Define what is meant by Matching, Flexibility, Leadership Style, Leadership Behaviours
- Assessing Your Leadership Style (Leadership Styles Questionnaire LBAII)
- The Seven Directive and Supportive Leadership Behaviours
- The Four Leadership Styles, S1, S2, S3, S4 (see Additional Information Section)
- The SLII Model – Matching Leadership Style to Development level
DAY 2: PRACTISE
Situational Leadership in Practice
- Review the SLII Model – Styles and Development Levels
- Understanding the Impact of Over and Under Supervision
- The SLX Story Part 4 – Mismatch
- The SLX Story Part 5 and 6 – Alignment Conversations
- Personal Alignment Conversation Planning
- Assessing Current Leadership Style and Impact (SLII Worksheet)
- The SLII Game - Matching Leadership Styles to Situations and Development Levels
- SLII Fitness Test – Matching Skills Assessment
Developing Flexibility of Style
- Understanding the LBAII Reports and Scoring process – Leadership Style Flexibility
- Personal Leadership Style Preference
- Personal Leadership Style Effectiveness
- LBAII Insights – preference, flexibility, misdiagnosis, effectiveness
- Leadership Style Demonstrations
Leadership Style Practise
- Leadership Style Conversation Practice using participants examples
- The Importance of Open Questions (How, What) for Style 3
- The SLII Development Cycle – Building Motivation and Confidence
- Identifying, Managing and Leading others through the Regressive Cycle
One on One Conversations
- Managing Up
- Self-Develop and Identify Leadership Style Needs
- How to use the material for effective One on One conversations
Teaching Others and Embed Learning
- SLII Tools and Resources to teach Vocabulary and Model
- SLII Model Article
- SLII Model Power Point
- SLII Model on line – eLearning asset on Blanchard Exchange (available to all participants for up to 20 team members per participant)
- SLII Participant Mastery Tools - 12 challenges (on line)
Developing Your Personal Action Plan – Reinforce and Practise
We have covered a huge amount of information and skills to use with your team and peers. To ensure participants ‘use it and don’t lose it’ the following plan is highly recommended.
- Identify a mentor for support and ongoing development
- Identify the development stages for our people for different tasks
- Develop individual action plans based on development stages
- Use the Team Leadership Style Feedback Questionnaire
- Share the SLII Model On line with your team– check understanding and encourage use of the SLII language
- Set up one to one conversations using the worksheet – identify 1-2 team members, 15 meetings, evaluate at 6 weeks to assess quality of relationship
- Plan and book your Style 1,2 or 3 conversations
- Assess your own performance regularly – Who with? How often?
Who Should Attend and Prerequisites
This course is designed for all emerging and existing E&P team leaders, supervisors and managers who wish to improve their own and their team’s performance.
Andy is an extremely experienced and inspirational leader of people, business manager, trainer, facilitator and coach. He focuses his time on enabling individuals, teams and whole organisations to go beyond what they thought was possible and achieve even greater results. His clients include many global blue chip companies as well as smaller businesses in diverse industry sectors. He firmly believes that the measure of his effectiveness is based on the results his clients achieve. He works closely with his customers to understand their business, their concerns and their hopes and dreams. He then works with them to produce tailored training and development solutions that result in improved performances.
His key areas of expertise are:
• Sales Force Effectiveness strategies and training solutions
• Enabling managers of people to become great leaders, using the 8 Skill Coaching Model™
• Dynamic facilitator of Insights Discovery™ for increased personal and team effectiveness
• Helping create high performing teams
• Executive coaching
• Innovation & Creativity facilitation. He can enable you to create a creativity culture to solve current business issues and goals
Andy has extensive international experience and designed and delivered projects in Europe, USA, Canada, Middle East, Australia and China.
Andy has also successfully designed and delivered bespoke training programmes for both national and independent oil companies for RPS training. These include projects in the UK, USA and SE Asia which have all received outstanding feedback from the course participants.
D852: Boost Productivity and Motivation in a Remote Workplace
D853: Making Impactful Presentations Remotely
D854: Effective Coaching Skills for Leaders in a Remote Workplace
N813: Inspiring Leadership Skills
N815: Empowering Coaching Skills
N826: Effective Mentoring Skills
N835: Senior Leader Development Programme
N845: Creative Problem Solving for Technical Professionals
R001: Oil and Gas Essentials
Sarah is a highly motivated, creative, and engaging communicator, coach and training consultant. She creates and delivers outstanding training solutions for technical professionals that change behaviours and improve results. Sarah’s drive and determination to succeed comes from her belief that everything is possible if we plan to succeed and are willing to adapt and develop ourselves.
Sarah is the Training Manager at Nautilus responsible for the Professional Skills Development (PSD) Programme. In this role Sarah works closely with E&P Customers and Industry Advisors and uses her skills in Project Management, Leadership, Coaching, Training, Sales and Client Management to produce a robust Professional Skills Training Programme for the Oil and Gas Industry.
Sarah has a proven track record and her expertise has been developed over the last 20 years in roles within the Pharmaceutical and Information Technology Industries. During this time her roles included:
• Training (sales, product and skills)
• Project Management
• Event Organising
Sarah’s courses are always extremely well received and this is reflected in the participants feedback
• “I thoroughly enjoyed the day and thought you were a great and very engaging trainer”
• “I think train the trainer day should be thrown open to wider RPS energy as many will benefit from this”
Sarah is an accredited facilitator of “Colours” (Behavioural Styles), Situational Leadership II, 8 Skill Coaching and has trained as a life coach.
N813: Inspiring Leadership Skills
N815: Empowering Coaching Skills
N829: Report Writing and Presentation skill for Geoscientists and Engineers
N834: Communication Skills: Improve Personal and Team Performance
N898: Leadership Training