Professional Skills Development
Mentoring is a relationship between two people; the mentor and the mentee. Each mentoring relationship will be different but on this course participants will learn that effective mentoring is a skill that can be developed. Participants will gain a more expansive view of mentoring relationships and assess their mentoring competency against a mentoring framework. They will become more effective and influential mentors.
Duration and Training Method
A one-day classroom course. This course uses a combination of presentations, group work, experiential exercises, case studies and role plays to ensure that participants learn and develop the skills to use the various principles and techniques described. We use audio recording of the role-play for maximum learning outcomes.
Participants attending this course will be able to:
- Integrate an expansive view of mentoring into their leadership responsibilities.
- Start and maintain effective mentoring relationships with their mentees. What does success look and sound like?
- Assess when to use a coaching, counselling, networking or guiding approach with their mentee.
- Set up agreed goals and roles and responsibilities in the mentor/mentee relationship.
- Feedback - 'The Breakfast of Champions'.
- How to listen - really listen.
- Pre-empt possible mentoring pitfalls and plan to avoid them.
- Appraise their own mentoring skills based on a 10 point mentoring competency framework in order to develop their own skills.
- Assess the success of the mentor/mentee relationship.
- Introductions and Expectations
- Purpose Process Pay-Off
- What is mentoring?
- Developing expansive views of mentoring
- Coaching, Counselling, Networking and Guiding. How they differ and when to use
- An organisational perspective of mentoring. Informal and formal mentoring programs
- Expansive views on the benefits to mentor, mentee and organisations
- Choosing mentees. Choosing mentors. Matching mentors to mentees. Considerations for making a good match
Goals, Roles and Responsibilities
- Agreeing goals, ground rules, roles and responsibilities of the mentoring relationship.
- How long does a mentoring relationship last?
- Exploring different methods of interaction
- Assessing the success of mentoring relationships and programs
- Understanding of participant’s preferred Learning Style (pragmatist, theorist, activist and reflector)
- Using Learning Styles with their mentees
Put Yourself in Their Shoes
- Participants will gain insight into the thoughts and feelings of their mentee so that rapport can be built more quickly
- Self assessment against the 10 competencies of an effective mentor
- Design personal development plan for mentoring competencies
- Participants role play the first meeting with their mentee. Audio capture and feedback on their performance
Pitfalls and How to Avoid Them
- Identify the common challenges and pitfalls to an effective mentoring relationship
- Plan to avoid and/or minimize the challenges
- Personal action plans developed
Who Should Attend and Prerequisites
This course is designed for all established employees who wish to become effective mentors.
Andy is an extremely experienced and inspirational leader of people, business manager, trainer, facilitator and coach. He focuses his time on enabling individuals, teams and whole organisations to go beyond what they thought was possible and achieve even greater results. His clients include many global blue chip companies as well as smaller businesses in diverse industry sectors. He firmly believes that the measure of his effectiveness is based on the results his clients achieve. He works closely with his customers to understand their business, their concerns and their hopes and dreams. He then works with them to produce tailored training and development solutions that result in improved performances.
His key areas of expertise are:
• Sales Force Effectiveness strategies and training solutions
• Enabling managers of people to become great leaders, using the 8 Skill Coaching Model™
• Dynamic facilitator of Insights Discovery™ for increased personal and team effectiveness
• Helping create high performing teams
• Executive coaching
• Innovation & Creativity facilitation. He can enable you to create a creativity culture to solve current business issues and goals
Andy has extensive international experience and designed and delivered projects in Europe, USA, Canada, Middle East, Australia and China.
Andy has also successfully designed and delivered bespoke training programmes for both national and independent oil companies for RPS training. These include projects in the UK, USA and SE Asia which have all received outstanding feedback from the course participants.
D852: Boost Productivity and Motivation in a Remote Workplace
D853: Making Impactful Presentations Remotely
D854: Effective Coaching Skills for Leaders in a Remote Workplace
N813: Inspiring Leadership Skills
N815: Empowering Coaching Skills
N826: Effective Mentoring Skills
N835: Senior Leader Development Programme
N845: Creative Problem Solving for Technical Professionals
R001: Oil and Gas Essentials