Professional Skills Development
Effective coaching is an essential skill for all managers and leaders especially when change has or is about to occur. This course teaches professionals to use a model of coaching that can improve the outcome of any conversation including the more challenging ones. Using these coaching skills will save you time and energy, produce positive changes of behaviour and increase levels of accountability, motivation and performance.
Duration and Training Method
A two-day classroom course. The class uses a combination of presentations, group work, practical exercises, case studies, 180- degree coaching skill survey and role plays to ensure that participants learn and develop the confidence to use the various principles and techniques described. The role plays are audio recorded to maximise the learning experience.
Participants will learn to:
- Experience the value and power of effective coaching as part of leadership capabilities.
- Apply new coaching skills in a wide variety of everyday situations.
- Draw on a bank of powerful questions to use in conversations that build insight, accountability and lead to solutions.
- Improve the quantity and quality of feedback given to colleagues, resulting in improved motivation and performance.
- Be able to have “difficult conversations” with others that result in positive outcomes.
- Establish ways of empowering their people and raising accountability for their actions.
- Develop and improve personal performance.
- Introductions and expectations
- Objectives, agenda and benefits
- What is coaching in the context of being a leader?
- Who do we coach?
- When do we coach and when do we not coach?
- Why do we coach?
- What are the barriers to adopting a coaching style of leadership?
- Cultural differences and coaching
- The coaching RADAR: Results, Awareness, Development, Accountability, Relationships
The Performance Curve
- Exploration of time spent by managers with low, core and high performers
- What are the emotional factors a manager faces that may affect behaviour?
- Dealing with low performers: retain or release them?
- Coaching “the core” for performance
- Coaching for retention of your top performers
- The research that demonstrates the link between a managers coaching skills and performance
Capture your Natural Coaching Style
Using a scripted scenario, participants role-play in groups of three. Use audio recorders to capture participants' role-plays.
The Coaching Model
- The history of the Coaching Model
- The Coaching Model explained
- Seeing the Skills in action
- Each participant reviews their own coaching performance and receives feedback based on the model
- What are the common issues?
- Each participant practices coaching one of their real life coaching situations using their newly developed coaching skills
180° Coaching Skills Feedback
Participants will learn how to interpret their coaching skills feedback.
The 180 degree coaching skill survey will be available post course, see additional information at the end of this course outline for more detail.
“Breakfast of Champions”
- Experiential exercise that demonstrates the power of ineffective and effective feedback on performance
- Giving each other affirmative feedback
- Johari's Window
- The emotional bank account
- Giving each other developmental feedback
- Participants' skills practise
- Coaching quiz
- Having “difficult conversations”
Final Coaching Exercise
One to one coaching exercise based on current real life challenges – including redundancy, low morale, poor performance etc.
Who Should Attend and Prerequisites
This course is designed for all current (or emerging) project leaders, supervisors, managers and team leaders who wish to improve their ability to have more frequent and ‘useful’ conversation with their peers and staff which will result in improved motivation, accountability and performance.
Andy is an extremely experienced and inspirational leader of people, business manager, trainer, facilitator and coach. He focuses his time on enabling individuals, teams and whole organisations to go beyond what they thought was possible and achieve even greater results. His clients include many global blue chip companies as well as smaller businesses in diverse industry sectors. He firmly believes that the measure of his effectiveness is based on the results his clients achieve. He works closely with his customers to understand their business, their concerns and their hopes and dreams. He then works with them to produce tailored training and development solutions that result in improved performances.
His key areas of expertise are:
• Sales Force Effectiveness strategies and training solutions
• Enabling managers of people to become great leaders, using the 8 Skill Coaching Model™
• Dynamic facilitator of Insights Discovery™ for increased personal and team effectiveness
• Helping create high performing teams
• Executive coaching
• Innovation & Creativity facilitation. He can enable you to create a creativity culture to solve current business issues and goals
Andy has extensive international experience and designed and delivered projects in Europe, USA, Canada, Middle East, Australia and China.
Andy has also successfully designed and delivered bespoke training programmes for both national and independent oil companies for RPS training. These include projects in the UK, USA and SE Asia which have all received outstanding feedback from the course participants.
D852: Boost Productivity and Motivation in a Remote Workplace
D853: Making Impactful Presentations Remotely
D854: Effective Coaching Skills for Leaders in a Remote Workplace
N813: Inspiring Leadership Skills
N815: Empowering Coaching Skills
N826: Effective Mentoring Skills
N835: Senior Leader Development Programme
N845: Creative Problem Solving for Technical Professionals
R001: Oil and Gas Essentials